The College has a transparent admission process. The College prospectus is published in advance before the commencement of each academic session with details about the College, courses offered, eligibility criteria, its faculty profile, rules and regulations, admission dates, fee structure, the extra-curricular activities and co- curricular activities. To ensure publicity, the College, after the publication of class XII CBSE results, announces the dates when it intends to open admission in its courses. The announcement is made through local and regional dailies, local T.V. channels and All India Radio. The College also uploads the prospectus in the college website.
Transparency in the admission process is also ensured with the formation of an admission committee. The committee is chaired by the Principal and is staffed with Dean of Students Affairs and four to five teachers. The Dean functions as the convener of the committee and is assisted in his task by the teaching faculty who are in the committee. In addition, five to six office staff are also included in the committee. Initially, they distribute the prospectus and receive the filled up forms from the students. The committee then prepares a merit based list. The list is displayed with details of the students in the notice board. Admissions, on specified dates are given to the reporting students. Meanwhile, the Dean of students’ affairs along with the teachers included in the committee guide the students and their parents in choosing their courses. The College identity card and the library card are issued to the students at the time of admission.
The process of admitting students to various programmes in the College is carried out in a transparent, well administered mechanism in compliance with the guidelines of Human Resource Development Department, Government of Sikkim. Prospectus can be procured by the students having 45% marks and above in their Board Exams and 65% and above having vocational background. Students are short listed for admissions on the basis of marks obtained in their Class XII Board Exams. Students opting for Honours must have a minimum of 55% in that subject.
For Post Graduate programmes admission is done on the basis of Entrance Test and Marks obtained in their Under Graduate Examinations.
The students of 10+2 with a minimum score of 45% marks in their respective streams are eligible to procure prospectus for B.A., B.Sc. and B. Com. respectively and a minimum score of 65% marks is essential for vocational students to procure and apply for B.A. and 75% marks is the cut-off marks for Vocational students to apply for B. Com programme as per 2015 HRDD notification.
- Prior to 2015 notification the students of 10+2 with a minimum score of 55% marks were considered eligible for admission into the College. The students of vocational stream had to have a minimum of 75% marks to apply for admission in the College.
- The students are admitted on the basis of merit and seat capacity.
- The students applying for admission is much higher than the intake capacity.
- It has been seen that the highest marks in some subjects range between 85% to 94%
- Differently abled and those students belonging to the weaker section of the society are given admission to the College on priority basis.
- The College being the oldest in the state of Sikkim and an acclaimed institution, students prefer to study in this College.
- PG Programmes have been introduced in the College from the current academic session and as per the guidelines provided by Sikkim University and HRDD, Government of Sikkim the cut off percentage for admission was 40% for Humanities and 45% for Science subjects.
The college annually reviews the admission process in its general body and College Management Committee meetings.
- Suggestions for improvements are taken into consideration thereby contributing towards an efficient student friendly and transparent admission process with approval of Human Resource Development Department, Government of Sikkim.
- The College also verifies and reviews the profile of all the students admitted annually.
- The Institution has well defined and well planned mechanisms for reviewing the profiles and merit of the students concerned.
- The review of the admission process has helped the College in providing equal representation to all sections of the society.
- The Dean of Student’s affairs regularly monitors and provides information to the academic Heads for proper corrective measures.
- The activities of the students are closely monitored by the academic Heads and Dean of Student’s affairs. As such the Students have been able to translate their latent potential into many constructive activities.
SC/ST and OBC: The College does not have reservation rules as the students of Sikkim belong either of the three categories SC/ST and OBC. Fee exemptions are provided to all the students of Sikkim as per notification of the State Government in 2014.
Women: More than 56% to 60 % of our students are women students. Hostel facilities have also been provided to them. The women’s Cell is also given the responsibility to cater to the needs of Girl Students in the College.
Differently-abled: All the students belonging to differently-abled category are given admission in our college and they are provided with special care and attention.
Economically weaker sections: Post-Matric students are provided to the students by Government of Sikkim. The students from economically weaker sections are also provided scholarship by the Department of Social welfare, Government of Sikkim. As Government of Sikkim has given freeships to the Students, so the students who belong to economically weaker section can have easy access to higher education in the College.
Any other: Athletes and sports persons: Students who have participated in Districts, National and Inter National level sports activities are given admissions based on their excellence in athletics or sports. They are also provided with financial incentives by the Government of Sikkim.
|Admission Details from 2011 to 2015|
|Years||Total Applicants||Stream Wise Applicants||Total Enrolment as per Admission Register||University Registered Students||Stream Wise Registered Students|
|2011||1232||B.A. 688||973||930||B.A. 552|
|B.COM. 160||B.COM. 122|
|B. Sc. 384||B. Sc. 256|
|2012||1178||B.A. 710||1006||958||B.A. 655|
|B.COM. 220||B.COM. 164|
|B. Sc. 248||B. Sc. 139|
|2013||1447||B.A. 700||1159||1100||B.A. 595|
|B.COM. 200||B.COM. 167|
|B. Sc. 547||B. Sc. 338|
|2014||1717||B.A. 800||1273||1234||B.A. 674|
|B.COM. 261||B.COM. 195|
|B. Sc. 656||B. Sc. 365|
|2015||1979||B.A. 985||1324||1266||B.A. 663|
|B.COM. 636||B.COM. 238|
|B. Sc. 358||B. Sc. 365|